Wednesday, December 22, 2010





Celtic Christians called them thin places, places where heaven and earth touch, where God seems more readily present, more easily accessed. This space is meant to identify thin places-- ideas, relationships, points of connection, moments with beauty and truth that draw us towards one another, and towards the Holy One.


I first read of thin places on a blog of a friend's friend. It was no happenstance that I read this. It gave meaning to my feelings and am grateful to have read his words. I wanted to share with you, my group of friends, that you might also become conscious when in a thin place. Sadly, not everyone will recognize a thin place. This is not an attempt to duplicate in any way but the initial knowledge of thin places intrigued me so that I began to research further as it seemed to coincide with where I have found myself lately. I have no doubt that some of you reading will instantly recognize a time or place in your own life where you associate having been in a thin place as described.


In reading further of the Celtic Christians descriptions of these thin places, I found a slight variation of views. Some described this experience as a feeling that occurred by physically standing on Holy Ground or being present in an area where those who came before us had experienced the Holy One. Others, as in the description in the beginning, believe that a thin place may well be a time, a season, an event, or a moment where God seems more present.


Christmas, indeed, is a time when Christians and even those who profess no belief in God as some know Him, feel this special presence during the holiday season.There's a merriment and warmness that comes with fellowshipping with one another. During the season we are likely run into at least one somebody we haven't seen in forever. What about gathering with all the family and the little kids that are now grown with little ones of their own? That's warming and hopeful. We feel attached , we see family creation before our eyes, and we see love with greater clarity. Some may not recognize what this Spirit of Christmas is exactly, others see and feel God's active presence all around.


Most recently, having been sick, I found myself in a thin place. Even though some very dear human relations reached out to me, even then, I felt a much more supreme, divine touch. I became very aware of my ultimate relationship. The space between God and I became very thin. I fell down on my knees before Him. I saw how quickly my world could crumble about me and mine. The friends and family were but hands of my one true relationship and ultimately there is where my hope lay. Drawing very near to that, I heard with a peace I do not understand, "I will not leave you nor forsake you". Though in moments, my despair ran rampant. I have returned continuously to His promise. Today, I am grateful to be back on my feet, feeling a little better, and once again producing an income. But this will not be a time I soon forget. Keep me humble, Lord, I pray.


Merry Christmas, my friends. May it be a time of peace and hope for you and your family. And may you experience this thin place during the holiday season.

4 comments:

Heres a gem said...

Awww, Paige, sorry to hear you have been sick. Glad to hear you are starting to feel better. I love the concept of thin spaces... this post reminded me of the poem Footprints. :) Merry Christmas!

Marian said...

I felt this closeness with God when I got laid off. I was devastated with worry and I kept being told to "Trust..." What more can we ask for than this?

I hope that you are feeling better, Paige! Have a wonderful holiday!

Misha said...

Beautiful post, Paige.

I hadn't ever before heard communion described as a thin place. I like it. :)

So glad you are feeling better.

*hugs*

Darlene ~Bloggity Blogger~ said...

I'm sorry you were ill. I sure hope you are better now.

Now I am curious to know more about the Celtic Christians. There is something about the Celtic's that touches something deep in my spirit. I have been aware of this for a number of years now. Almost like an ancestral yearning...and that is as close as I can come to describing it. It is primeval...if that makes any sense. I love this blog.