Thursday, January 12, 2012

Without discipline, you haven't a leg to stand on



I really thought I'd just jump right in and start listening more. Naive girl, I am. So this week I thought to be as good a time as any to start my new discipline of listening. Whoops? Did I say discipline? Something perhaps I never considered I'd need to shift from talker conversationalist to intentional listener.

Today  disproved any preconceived notion I might have had that I could listen. That poor lady ! Seriously,  I wanted to pop her and make her quit interrupting what I was trying to say. And just like that, I realized, my first attempt at listening - sincerely shutting my mouth, not thinking of the next words I wanted to say, and allowing another to complete their thought without any input from myself - had failed. 


To listen well, is as powerful a means of influence as to talk well, and is as essential to all true conversation

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listening really is a skill--a valuable one. Most everyone likes to talk, especially about themselves, so genuine, interested listeners are often beloved.

Cindy Mallalieu said...

Keep writing on this, 'cause I need to figure out how this is done my own self!!!

paige said...

Oh, how heartwarming to see you ladies. And I thought I was here just writing to myself :) Thank you. And yikes,I have this trouble with wanting to do so many things but not learn the skill first. I really didn't realize that committing to some compassionate listening would require so much. I'm thinking I'm in for a lesson this year. I hope I pass.

The Journey said...

Friend, I hear you on this issue. I wish the one hole to speak and two to listen rule hasn't kicked in. I sometimes envy quiet and staid people.

Love your site. Don't always comment but I enjoy getting to know you through your writing.